Saturday, January 26, 2013

Making a spectacle (holder!)

Hi and welcome! Gayle here with a card and altered piece using Papermania Chronology 'Looking Glasses' and 'Cogs' stamps - I bought these new stamps on the weekend with a voucher left over from Christmas (love those!).  They're Papermania steampunk style stamps - I discovered on a recent Hobbycraft trip they have their own line now :)

I made a birthday card and glasses holder, both inspired by necessity ;)

I used a piece of 12x12 My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Two Breeze "Everywhere" Mirrors Paper for the background; on one side a green pattern and on the other a sheet of ruler type print.


For the card I used the ruler print side for the background, with a strip of the green pattern and some Tim Holtz tissue tape across the bottom and the Looking Glasses stamp in coffee Archival, mounted on green cardstock and embellished with a brown butterfly from my stash and an Idea-ology philosophy tag and brad.  The flourishes are from a Tim Holtz stamp set.

The glasses holder was an idea that came up as a result of YEARS of me knocking my glasses on the floor when scrabbling for them in the morning and being unable to find them (I'm too short sighted to see the floor from the bed!)
This is a recycled soup can covered with the ruler print side of the paper with strips of the opposite side green pattern and tissue tape added, and a piece of ribbon from my stash.  I stamped the Looking Glasses image in coffee Archival onto manila, and cut it out and inked the edges with Frayed Burlap Distress.  I restamped the image and cut out the binoculars to make them stand out, sticking them onto the original image with some foam squares.
I added a Tim Holtz vial label (glasses!) and lined the inside of the can by gluing cotton wool balls to the inside base and sides, and then glued a piece of calico to the inside rim.
The padding inside holds my glasses securely in the centre of the can, and it's easy to spot them against the light fabric in the dark mornings when I wake up :)
Seems like a simple idea but it's changed my life! lol! Well, my morning wake-up anyway ;) it never put me in a particular good mood to wake up and spend time scrabbling about down the side of the bed!

Thanks for visiting today, happy scrapping!

Gayle xx






4 Scrappy thoughts:

Words and Pictures said...

These are so cool, Gayle! Love the colours... I succumbed to a couple of the new Chronology stamps, and I'm now really sad that I left the Eyeglasses lady on the shelf!!
Alison x

Helen said...

What a great idea and how gorgeous the holder looks.

Unknown said...

Love the project!!!

dianapena8 said...

Extremely crative, and fantastic design =Di