Saturday, April 14, 2012

Inky layers

This one took a while to dry between layers! LOL
Again I used my new favourite Distress Stains(!) for this tag, in broken china, fired brick and picket fence, but what I really loved about this tag was the top layer of stamped script in picket fence which I stamped on top of the other layers - the Distress Stains go onto stamps really easily to give a painty effect when you use them.  Bring those background stamps to the foreground!

I started by building up a really messy inky background, lots of layers of Distress Stains and spritzing with water and just generally making a lovely mess :) I added the central image (one of my faves! Steampunk Debutante by Graphic 45) and a few background images; Tim Holtz chequers stamped in fired brick Distress Ink and Tim Holtz grids stamped in saddle brown StazOn.  The script stamped in picket fence Distress Stain over the top is also a Tim Holtz stamp - love how it stands out against the dark background!  I went around the edges with vintage photo Distress Ink and voila!  Grungy inky mess with lots of layers :) the most fun!

I also wanted to share a tag made with leftover ink! lol!  The tag below is the sister tag to the one I blogged in last week's post here; after spraying vibrant turquoise Dylusions ink through the Creative Expressions compass mask, there was still ink left on the mask itself so I pressed it onto this manilla tag to get a fainter outline of the compass design.  I sprayed once or twice with the Dylusions ink to give some more colour, and outlined parts of the design in baby blue Stickles, which made the ink bleed a little - liked this effect!  I added some Tim Holtz tissue tape to the top and bottom and stamped a small Fancy Pants flourish in broken china Distress ink at the top, and then went round the edge of the tag with broken china to finish it off.
Thanks for visiting!  Stay scrappy :)

Gayle xx

6 Scrappy thoughts:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous inky tags, love the stamping with the picket fence, really effective against the background. Love the colours, one of my favourite palettes. Great image too. Surprising what you can create with left over ink and your tag is gorgeous. Tracy x x

Joanna said...

Beautiful tags, the first one has such depth. Brilliant, your patience has paid off while the inks dried each time :o)

dianapena8 said...

Gorgeous! loving all the inky techniques you used on the firts tag, and I can't believe the second beauty was made with leftovers, it looks fantastic =D

Erica said...

Great layers on your tags! The text stamp is my favorite part.

Unknown said...

I love your inking!!!!!!!!

Jester said...

They both look utterly fabulous - such depth and texture, as well as fab colours!